Today I want to share one of my favorite recipes of the season: Garlic scape pesto. Thanks to our growing garlic garden, we find ourselves with an abundance of garlic scapes, those curly green shoots that hardneck garlic always grows. These versatile and flavorful beauties make a fantastic pesto that can be used for all kinds of dishes and snacks. So, roll up your sleeves and let's dive into this easy recipe!
But first, let's quickly explore what garlic scapes are and why they're worth getting excited about. Garlic scapes are the flower stalks that emerge from hardneck garlic bulbs as they grow. They possess a milder garlic flavor and a delightful crunch, making them a sought-after ingredient in the culinary world. In many home gardens they are wasted, though, as you do need to remove them to make the garlic bulbs grow better, but not everyone knows they are edible. They are, and they are delicious too! By utilizing garlic scapes, we not only minimize waste but also unlock a whole new range of flavors to enjoy in our meals.
Recipe: Garlic scape pesto
Preparation time: 10 minutes | Makes approximately 1 cup of pesto
- 2 dl (about 3/4 cup) of garlic scapes, roughly chopped
- 1 dl (about 1/2 cup) of nuts or seeds (walnuts work great!)
- 1 dl (about 1/2 cup) of fresh herbs (basil, parsley, or oregano)
- 1/2 dl (about 1/4 cup) of high-quality olive oil
- 1 dl (about 1/2 cup) of water
- Juice of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- First things first, gather your garlic scapes, ensuring they are clean and free from any tough ends. Chop them into manageable pieces, around 2 cm in length.
- In a blender or food processor, combine the garlic scapes, nuts or seeds, fresh herbs, olive oil, water, and lemon juice. Blend until you achieve a smooth and creamy consistency. Don't worry if it's not perfectly smooth; a little texture adds to the overall experience! If smoothness is your thing, add more olive oil.
- Once blended, taste your creation and season with salt and pepper according to your preferences. Feel free to experiment with different herb combinations or add a sprinkle of red pepper flakes for a spicy kick!
- Now, the best part—savoring your homemade garlic scape pesto! Spread it on warm crusty bread, toss it with pasta, drizzle it over grilled vegetables, or use it as a flavorsome dip. The possibilities are endless, so try things out and enjoy!
With this simple and tasty garlic scape pesto recipe, you can turn your surplus garlic scapes into something all garlic-lovers will want to try. By embracing the abundance from your garden, you contribute to a sustainable lifestyle and reduce food waste. So, don't let those curly stalks go to waste—transform them into a delicious pesto instead! I hope you enjoy making and devouring this delightful pesto. Happy cooking!